The Panzerkampfwagen IV Ausf D was the fourth production version of the Panzer IV medium support tank and saw the first increase in the thickness of the side and rear armor. The 15mm armor of the Ausf A-C was replaced by 20mm armor.
The original order for 200 4th Series BW and 48 5th Series BW tanks was placed in January 1938, but production did not get underway until October 1939, and it took Krupp nineteen months to complete the order. Of the 248 tanks ordered 229 were completed as Panzer IVs, while the remaining chassis were used to produce two self-propelled guns, sixteen bridge laying tanks, and one ammunition carrier.